History

History of the oldest food processing company in Ukraine began in 1862, when the Swiss merchant Johann Friedrich Enni decided continue his family business in Odesa. Having built a brewery at Moldavanka, he launched production of a new-fashioned beverage of that time – beer. Since Friedrich Enni wasn’t keen on playing small stakes, his company, F. Enni & Co, soon became the first large brew house in south of the Russian Empire. Its products not only enjoyed high demand on local markets but were successfully exported far outside the country. Friedrich Enni’s beer sold in original bottles with white ceramic cap (a highly-prized item for today’s collectors) was a recognizable brand in southern Russia, Kishinev, Crimea, Constantinople, Smyrna, Thessaloniki, Trapezund, Haifa, Jaffa, and even in faraway Vladivostok.

bottlesThe quality was proved by awards won at various fairs and tasting contests. The products of F. Enni & Co Trade House won the first medal at the Odesa Exhibition of the Works of Agricultural and Manufacturing Industry of 1884. The expert jury awarded the brewery a gold medal «For excellent quality of various varieties of beer»

The enterprising Swiss not only knew how to do business but also was an innovator. For example, he was one of the first in Odesa to use steam and electric power generated by Siemens & Halske steam generator for production purposes. At that time, besides F. Enni & Co, only Primorskly Boulevard and the Opera House could afford this luxury.

The brewer also devoted substantial attention to advertising. The survived historical materials provide an excellent illustration of advertising techniques used back then.

old postersold postersold posters

And here’s a versed form of presenting an ad:

Enni beer, Enni beer
In a goldish stormy foam
Only a genius could invent! Drink it endlessly and with no slackness,
Without thinking or doubts
Enni beer

A curious fact: it was Friedrich Enni who opened the first beer cellar in Odesa, the famous «Gambrinus» at the corner of Preobrazhenskaya and Deribasovskaya Streets which served keg beer.

Thanks to approaches employed in the management and use of the latest equipment available at the time, by the turn of the 20th century F. Enni & Co became the largest brewery in Novorossiya (New Russia). F. Enni & Co owned the largest number of pubs in Odesa. One of them was located in the most prestigious place – at Nikolayevskyi (Primorsky) Boulevard. It featured regular performances from touring celebrities, had a brass band, and hosted evenings of symphonic music.

view to bugayevka

Introduction of the prohibition of alcohol at the outset of the World War I forced the company to switch to production of mineral and sweet waters. And the October Revolution meant that Friedrich Enni had to leave Odesa for good. The next turnaround happened in 1924, when the young Soviet power nationalized the brewery and redesigned it to produce soy products. The former F. Enni & Co became the first industrial-scale soy processing enterprise, and was named «Soy Factory». It produced soy-based soft cheeses, sour cream, quark cheese, custard, brynza, cream cheese, and even kvass.
In 1936 the enterprise was charged with new objectives: development of full-fledged foodstuffs for the army and navy. At the same time, the foods had to have a long shelf live, retain high taste and nutritional value, be light in weight and occupy little space. That was how the first food concentrates have appeared in the USSR.

By the late 1930s this objective was successfully fulfilled and the factory became the biggest supplier of food concentrates, first for the armed forces and later for the general public. New facilities for production of soups, porridges, kissel, natural coffee, and spices were built at that time. New production lines were also installed for packaging of soups into dry stock and packets. The new products changed the enterprise’s name, and the factory was renamed to Odesa Food Concentrates Factory.

When the World War II broke out the factory’s equipment was dismantled and hastily moved to Gorky. Soon after Odesa was liberated in 1944 the production lines were returned. The factory’s history has entered into a new era: modern equipment was installed, natural gas supply line was laid, new production and storage facilities were built.

In the 1970s-1990s the factory underwent rapid technical modernization: production facilities were reconstructed and new equipment was installed. New product recipes were developed and existing recipes were improved. Joining the general trend of devoting attention to the consumer health the factory has expanded production of coffee- and cereal-based drinks and coffee-and-milk mixes in dry stock so favored by children.

In 1996 the factory saw reorganization of the form of ownership and had its name changed to OdesPishcheKombinat OJSC, and in 2011, or 149 years after inception, the wheel of history has completed its spin and the enterprise was returned its old, legendary name: Enni Foods.

Today, Enni Foods is a growing company with years-old traditions and huge experience, a proud producer of foods that bring please, raise mood, and are healthy.

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet

leaflet